RUC officer referred to PPS in connection with murder of Reavey brothers

RUC officer referred to PPS in connection with murder of Reavey brothers

A former police officer could face prosecution over the murder of three brothers in 1976. John, Brian and Anthony Reavey were shot multiple times in their home in Whitecross, South Armagh. Darragh Mackin said for over four and a half decades the Reavey family have pursued a dignified and admirable campaign for justice which at times seen certain corners vilifying Eugene Reavey. Today exonerates our client’s campaign for justice which has exposed the state sponsored Glenanne gang. ...
Read More
Greenvale: Police Ombudsman has called for a wider investigation.

Greenvale: Police Ombudsman has called for a wider investigation.

The Police Ombudsman has raised a number of "policing practice matters" with the PSNI in order to prevent further tragedies like the Greenvale Hotel deaths from occurring again. Police Ombudsman Marie Anderson confirmed in a statement that investigators from her office have met the families of Lauren Bullock, Morgan Barnard, both 17, and 16-year-old Connor Currie, who all died on St Patrick's Day 2019 during a crush outside the hotel in Cookstown. Mrs Anderson said investigators have briefed the families on a "broad range of enquiries" that have been conducted so far in the investigation, which was launched after a referral by the then Chief Constable George Hamilton in relation to the police response to the incident. Darragh Mackin has now called for a public inquiry into the tragic events. ...
Read More
Prosecution of soldier to continue in the case of Aidan McAnespie

Prosecution of soldier to continue in the case of Aidan McAnespie

The family of Aidan McAnespie has welcomed a decision to continue with the prosecution of a former British soldier charged with his manslaughter. Former Grenadier Guardsman David Jonathan Holden shot Mr McAnespie dead close to a checkpoint on the border at Aughnacloy in Co Tyrone in February 1988 as he made his way to Aghaloo GAC's grounds. Confirmation that the prosecution case against him will continue came after the trial of Soldier F, who was accused of murdering two men, William McKinney and Jim Wray, on Bloody Sunday in Derry in 1972, was halted. The trial of another squaddie, Soldier B, who was accused of murdering 15-year-old Daniel Hegarty in 1972, has also been stopped. Both cases had been reviewed by the Public Prosecution Service after a judge ruled that statements given by former soldiers involved in the 1972 killing of Official IRA man Joe McCann were inadmissible. The court found that when the soldiers gave their statements to the Royal Military Police in...
Read More
Supreme Court: Hooded men case commences

Supreme Court: Hooded men case commences

Supreme Court challenge to a court ruling that stated an independent investigation should take place into the treatment of the group of internees known as the ‘Hooded Men’ is to begin hearing opening submissions. The PSNI appealed the 2019 ‘Hooded Men’ torture case, challenging a previous ruling that an investigation into their treatment should now proceed. Today, the UK Supreme Court will hear the PSNI Chief Constable’s challenge to an Appeal Court judgment in favour of the ‘Hooded Men’. There were originally 14 men, who in a 1971 round-up of hundreds of people during internment, were taken from their homes hooded, and brought by helicopter to an army base. There, in units specially designed for the purpose, they were put through so-called 'deep interrogation', using five techniques of sensory deprivation notoriously used before and since in a number of conflicts worldwide. This included them being subjected to controlled, extreme deprivation, forced to spend long hours standing with their arms stretched out and their fingers touching the wall,...
Read More
Allison Morris and Aoife Moore case heard before High Court in Dublin.

Allison Morris and Aoife Moore case heard before High Court in Dublin.

Journalists, Ms Allison Morris and Ms Aoife Moore have had their cases commenced at the High Court in Dublin this afternoon before Mr Justice Allen.  In two separate applications, heard together, they sought an Order for an expedited hearing in respect of seeking disclosure of the details of the users to whom persistently targeted, harassed and defamed them on the social media platform Twitter.  At the hearing today, the Judge agreed that the matter was of an urgency which enabled the Court to deal with the cases today and has now listed the matter for a full hearing on the issues on Friday 4th June 2021.  At the hearing on 4th June 2021 both our clients will seek “Norwich Pharmacal” orders compelling both Twitter and Mr Harris to identify those behind the offending posts on the social media platform.    Darragh Mackin and Claire McKeegan, Partners of Phoenix Law acting for Ms Moore and Ms Morris: “We are glad that the Court has recognised the...
Read More
Journalist, Aoife Moore initiates proceedings against Twitter and Eoghan Harris.

Journalist, Aoife Moore initiates proceedings against Twitter and Eoghan Harris.

We act on behalf of the distinguished journalist, Aoife Moore.  Our client has been the subject of an extensive and malicious campaign of online abuse which encompassed in excess of 120 tweets from two accounts in a period short of twelve months.  The tweets sought to attack our client’s reputation and undermine her professionalism and integrity. Most concerning of all, some of the tweets directed at our client sought to belittle her views and undermine her professionalism through the use of misogynistic language.   Our client has now taken steps to initiate proceedings against Twitter and Mr Eoghan Harris (a former journalist) to compel the urgent disclosure of the relevant information to which identifies the other parties involved in this reprehensible conduct.  All of those individuals involved in such conduct should be identified without any further delay.  Aoife Moore said: "For over a year these obsessive attacks on me have sought to damage my reputation and standing as a journalist among my peers and colleagues. These posts tagged other...
Read More
The Ballymurphy Inquest – ‘All entirely innocent’

The Ballymurphy Inquest – ‘All entirely innocent’

Ms Justice Keegan sitting as the Coroner has today published her findings in respect of the Ballymurphy Inquest.  The findings make it clear that the killing of our client’s father at the manse field was disproportionate and without justification.   The Court found that there was no evidence put forward which supported the Military’s original version of events.  Crucially, the Court pointed to stark fact that a child who was also in the field on the night in question had been shot.   The evidence as adduced at the inquest confirms that the killing of our client was wholly unjustified.     In addition, the Court has found that the lack of management and preparation for the military operation was a breach of the European Convention of Human Rights.   Today’s decision vindicates the Ballymurphy family’s campaign for truth, justice and accountability.  The Court has today corrected the record.  Our client, and all the families killed at the Ballymurphy massacre, were innocent victims shot and killed by the...
Read More